A large portion of the world’s population finds it difficult to live without having an active social media presence. You will come across several friends who love posting their selfies, vacation photos or just everyday life. There are a multitude of social media platforms to choose from, but Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat are a few of the most popular medias. Though it might be great for your overall personality development, excessive exposure to social media interaction may hamper both your professional as well as personal life. PassionHR Consulting is passionate about assisting you in pursuing your career goals. We know many job seekers want to keep their private lives private, but many companies these days are checking your online profiles. Thinking ahead and being smart about what you post to social media platforms now may enhance your career opportunities in the future.
Some recruiters may use social media profiles to get an idea of your character and your personality, so it is better to use social media strategies to project your positive image. However, even a single slip-up might cost you the entire career of your life due to negative social media interaction. If you are employed and your social media actions are negatively impacting your work, it might cost you your job. A good rule of thumb is to never say anything online that you wouldn’t say face to face.
How Social Media Impact Can Save Your Online Profile
Here are some of the common negative social media mistakes that you must avoid to possibly save your job status or professional career.
1. Being Insulting, Combative, or Dramatic: You must refrain yourself from being too insulting or dramatic while posting anything on a social media platform. There are instances when you may wish to lash out on social media about your frustration or anger. Whether personal or professional, try keeping it to yourself and avoid posting it online on different social media channels.
2. Showing Off Too Much Wealth: Even if you are the CEO or Founder of the company, there is no point flaunting your wealth or expensive purchases. This serves as a great turn-off in your professional image among your office peers.
3. Constant Complaining: There could be a high chance that you are not content with your work or boss. However, it is better to avoid taking it to the online platform to complain about your current position or boss. Try to refrain from these type of posts to maintain your good professional image at your workplace.
4. Sharing the Latest Job Offer: Job offers are meant to be confidential unless you actually take them up. Therefore, while you are active in your ongoing job and might have received a great job offer from another company, do not go around posting about it on any social media channel.
5. Posting Useless Comments: Unless you have the need for it, avoid posting any comment on an official social media post. It is better to not give your opinion, rather than giving an unimportant or useless one. This act will be highly condemned by your seniors in the job.
6. Don’t Drink and Post: Many a career has been interrupted or ended by a social post made after having imbibed a bit too much. If you wish to be on the safer side, avoid posting images during or after consuming alcohol.
7. Misbehaving with Customers: Never, ever disparage customers on social media, even if you feel you’re in the right. This is something which will not be appreciated by your boss or company head at any cost. Unless you wish to get fired intentionally, do not mock your customers on any social media channel.
PassionHR is a full service Human Resources Consulting group specializing in adding value to the Human Resources function within your business or organization. Whatever your HR needs, we have the capabilities, solutions, and services to meet your HR and talent management needs. Our professional services range from HR policy design and review, to performing HR projects, to organizational change. Call PassionHR today @ (256) 665-5966 or submit your information online.