It is time to develop a policy or update one? Let PassionHR help.
A policy is a formal statement of a principle or written work rule that members of an organization must follow. Each policy addresses an issue important to the organization's mission or operations.
A procedure tells members of the organization how to carry out or implement a policy. Policy is the "what" and the procedure is the "how to".
Policies are written as statements or rules. Procedures are written as instructions, in logical steps.
Why policies are important?
Policies serve several important functions:
- Communicate values and expectations for how things are done at your organization
- Keep the organization in compliance with legislation and provide protection against employment claims
- Document and implement best practices appropriate to the organization
- Support consistent treatment of staff, fairness and transparency
- Help management to make decisions that are consistent, uniform and predictable
- Protect individuals and the organization from the pressures of expediency